The Motley Crew: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
So yesterday I finally got my powder coated windshield trim installed. So nice not looking at those ugly ass windshield clips anymore.

So since the truck was looking super nice and all put together, I decided to do the logical thing and tear the front suspension off of it. Here goes nothing!

Just for motivation, I mounted the new wheels and tires on the rear of the truck.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
The sad thing is that I worked on the truck in 2 hour blocks the last 3 days, and it doesn't look any different than the pics above. What the pics don't show though, is all the cursing, grinding, drilling, sledge hammering, etc... 13/14 rivets have been removed, along with both OEM radius arm brackets, and the OEM beam pivots.

There are actually only 12 rivets holding those brackets on, but there are 2 more rivets a little higher up holding on the OEM motor mount on the drivers side, and I plan to replace my motor mounts with Autofab units, so I figured better to take advantage of the suspension being out of the way to get those rivets replaced with nuts/bolts to make a motor mount swap infinitely easier down the road.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
Roger that. The drivers side is the one with the two rivets, so doesn't save me any work unfortunately.

I just went out and power washed 23 years of grime off the crossmember, and pulled off the little heat shield that protects the OEM radius arm bushings from the Y-pipe. I dunno what it is, but removing excess crap from these trucks is so satisfying.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds