The Motley Crew: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Danger Ranger SD

supercharged sleepy slut
Aug 24, 2019
san diego
this is the only thread where i have notifications turned on and its probably gonna stay that way lol loving these updates. did you have a set budget before you started this project or are you just figuring it out as you go?

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
That's rad...I'm stoked you're enjoying the progress! I've got a rough budget of $20-$25 including the purchase price of the truck for the initial build (cleaning up the paint, front and rear suspension, wheels/tires, some interior work and stereo mods, rear bumper, lighting, and all the maintenance stuff). It's crazy how quickly I've run up against that with all the powdercoat, zinc plating, detail work, etc... but once this is all done and sorted, it should make for a great rig to go bounce around the desert, take the family to/from the beach, etc...

Phase two will be to convert the front suspension to coilovers and add air bumps up front, and get some better shocks out back. I'm also planning to replace the front seats with some PRP recliners, as well as the rear seat with PRP recliners and a reupholstered OEM center console/seat to match the PRP's. I just snagged the seat mounting structure and sliders from a standard cab that will bolt into the rear and allow for that. Should be pretty cool!

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
Not a huge update, but I got the frame cleaned and painted all the way to the back of the cab. I'll do the rear section when I pull the bed and pull off the spring hangers to do the rear suspension At this point, all that's left is to pick everything up from powdercoat and bolt it all back together. To say I'm getting antsy to get the parts back is an understatement. Should be sometime this week.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
Well, powdercoat isn't gonna be done til Monday or Tuesday, so I had time to tweak out on the front bumper and get it all polished up and replace the plastic trim. It's pretty impressive how nice the chrome on this bumper polished up after 23 years.

Reactions: A.J. and Heer-O

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
I got all my goodies back from powdercoat on Friday, so I spent all day Saturday getting everything final assembled. It ended up taking me all day because I just took my time, got everything torqued, marked, etc... I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out, and I'm really happy with the ride height.

Some details on the front setup are: Autofab bent beams, 2" drop beam pivots, heimed radius arms. Pro-Comp 6" coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Vital Designs custom bumpstop extensions. Tires are 315/75r16 KO2's.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds