The Motley Crew: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
Haha, thanks man! I'm so psyched with how this is turning out. I can't wait to get the LineX done and the badges back on it for the finishing touches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester9

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
I ordered a couple badges (one for the grille, one for the tailgate) from Billet Badges out in Ramona since I'd gotten one from them for the Raptor and was really impressed with the quality. This time I went with something kinda understated...brushed finish with Ford blue. Most people walking by wouldn't even catch that these are aftermarket, but if you look close, you can see the detail. They took a little while since they were custom made to my specs, but a cool little detail for sure.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
Ran the ole girl over to RPM in Oceanside to get the rusty old tailpipe and Flowmaster cut off and a little Magnaflow muffler and turn down added. The 7.5L sounds sooooooo much better now and no tailpipe in the way for the rear spring install.

You can see where I stopped cleaning/painting the frame in the pic. The rest will be cleaned/painted when the bed is off and the spring hangers have all been removed. Now that I'm looking at the rusty old driveshaft...might be time to get that rebuilt while the truck is down for the rear spring install.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Could just use a coat of paint and have it look just as good unless it needs a rebuild.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
You're probably right. I need to call Oceanside Driveline to see what they charge for a rebuild, but assuming it's not crazy expensive, I figure might as well get it serviced if I'm gonna pull it to clean and paint the thing.

Reactions: smokeysevin

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
You're probably right. I need to call Oceanside Driveline to see what they charge for a rebuild, but assuming it's not crazy expensive, I figure might as well get it serviced if I'm gonna pull it to clean and paint the thing.
I had a 95 F150 and the u joint went out around 120k so depending on miles might be worth it. Unfortunately mine happened on the way to the river. That was the only vehicle I ever had a u joint go bad on. weird.

nubreed71

Mar 28, 2003
San Diego, CA
New diff cover is on, and the ole girl is heading up to Richer tomorrow to get the J40's and front/rear spring hangers installed. It will be interesting to see what the rear ride height ends up at with the new springs.

Reactions: zachwabbit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds