The Off Road Communications Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I did, he suggested the race mod. still talking with him though. If thats what I have to do, thats what I have to do. Just trying not to spend another $100 if I don't have to, specially after spending $50 on the jumper from rugged.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
i just unplug my intercom from my radio to do what you're talking about. it's just a single pin jack between mine (rugged kenwood to a PCI intercom)

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
i just unplug my intercom from my radio to do what you're talking about. it's just a single pin jack between mine (rugged kenwood to a PCI intercom)
Unfortunately this would be a huge pain in the ass for me and not ideal. But thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to try a couple things to see if I can get it to do what I want. If not successful I’ll pay someone to make it do what I want haha.

On another note, anyone near Fullerton have a KENWOOD mic with the RJ12 connector I can borrow? I’m thinking mine is busted and that’s why I can’t get it to work off the front panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
That is just a remote head unit. It's so you can mount the big ass radio (like a tk-790h) somewhere hidden.

Also for you anyone looking for the 110w kenwood radios, make sure it is an H model. A tk-790 is only 45w where the 7k-790h is 110w.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
That is just a remote head unit. It's so you can mount the big ass radio (like a tk-790h) somewhere hidden.

Also for you anyone looking for the 110w kenwood radios, make sure it is an H model. A tk-790 is only 45w where the 7k-790h is 110w.
I'm pretty sure the KRK-2 picture he posted has a radio attached to it. If you look closely in the pic you can see something there.

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm pretty sure the KRK-2 picture he posted has a radio attached to it. If you look closely in the pic you can see something there.
Every couple months I browse ebay to see if there is any good deals. The impression I got is the tk-730, 760, 790 (and the h models) all use same case. I've only programmed a few tk-790h's and have not see the others in person. There should be a sticker on the back of the actual radio but I am assuming that was the one he refereed to as being ripped off. Upon searching google for krk-2 it appears as if it is for a 30 series radio (tk-630, tk-730, tk-830). Before this I didn't even know about the tk-6xx or 8xx. Probably should have added all that in the first post, but my brain is fried from finals lol.

Reactions: yltaco05

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Every couple months I browse ebay to see if there is any good deals. The impression I got is the tk-730, 760, 790 (and the h models) all use same case. I've only programmed a few tk-790h's and have not see the others in person. There should be a sticker on the back of the actual radio but I am assuming that was the one he refereed to as being ripped off. Upon searching google for krk-2 it appears as if it is for a 30 series radio (tk-630, tk-730, tk-830). Before this I didn't even know about the tk-6xx or 8xx. Probably should have added all that in the first post, but my brain is fried from finals lol.
Haha I do the same thing. The mic plug made me think 790 too. But the krk-2 suggested 730. So it’s mix matched parts or something neither of us know about lol.

Reactions: 04yfzkid

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Haha I do the same thing. The mic plug made me think 790 too. But the krk-2 suggested 730. So it’s mix matched parts or something neither of us know about lol.
It's like playing internet car mechanic. It could very well be the obvious, or could some weird ass shit no one would have guessed lol. About 6 months ago my buddy said his fire department just threw 10 of these in the trash. When I explained to him what PCI sells a new set up for he about shit his pants. Speaking of that the tk-790 has been discontinued and PCI bought the remaining balance of them from kenwood.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds