The Phelan to Bishop 300

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Total dirt miles: 324

Overall Map:

Schedule:

Trucks:
1. Turboyota IG: @rouse_engineering
2. Mobza Brent @bajaf250
3. Linked Tacoma of @dose Dusty
4. Linked Bronco of IG: @kevcoengineering
5. 4Runner @Do Dah IG: @do_dah
6. Long travel Tacoma of FASGLAS Taylor

Met Mobza Brent & Kevco at 6AM in Phelan. Hit the dirt immediately. We were in Hinkley by 7:30AM.

Made it to Boron by 8:30. Had a few breakfast beers waiting for Brent(he was 20 minutes back due to the shittiness of his rear spring/shackle/Shock Valving setup. (What loser built his truck....geez)

Those roads were rough enough that Brent was discouraged and wanted to turn back. I reassured him that the rest should not be as rough and gnarly.

We gassed up in Johannesburg. Kev and I were both getting a solid 8MPG

Little south of Ridgecrest:

Got to Indian Wells Brewing 1.5 hours ahead of schedule 10:30AM. Met @dose and FASGLAS Taylor and enjoyed some beers.

Jumped back on the powerline rd west of 395, and headed North to Cinder Rd./Fossil falls. The red trail on the map north of fossil falls is a pretty fun section. Cool rock formations, flowy drifty roads, a cool rock house, and Joshua trees. Lots of smiles!

Kev performed a rear brake fitting delete somewhere on that trail, so we jumped on the next section of trail North of Olancha that featured Owens Lake, Charcoal Kilns, Cowshit, and Tweaker factory. Posted up at a nice concrete slab for repairs.
Tools used: 7/16” & ½” wrench.
Parts used: 1X AN-3 male plug, brake fluid, and Brake Cleaner supplies by me.
Nut taps during repairs: 1
Beers: couple each

Got up close and personal with the livestock

I made one of many wrong turns, radioed to keep left and on the fucking gas through the super light volcanic fucking peagravel bullshit sand, and ended up getting stuck in the super light volcanic fucking peagravel bullshit sand, then unstuck, then stuck again. I had to use my overlander traction boards. Taylor pulled me forward, subsequently got stuck, so I pulled him backward, and then we finally freed ourselves. Copious amounts of shit talking ensued!

Stopped for beers and more shit talking at the Charcoal Kilns

We proceeded to meet the very unfriendly tweaker natives at an old abandoned processing plant, got the fuck outta there, corssed the 395, and took dirt the rest of the way past Diaz Lake into Lone Pine.

Crossed the 395 and found a bitchin’ camp spot on the Owens River. Did some fishing, Made a nice campfire, and had some beers. [mention]Do Dah [/mention] showed up at 10:30 PM.

That concludes day 1.
Total miles: 200ish

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
Very cool!

I think I asked in the other thread about this trip, Is there any info on the bronco anywhere? That thing is cool and has an odd link setup.

Speaking of tweakers, do you guys carry self defense devices on these trips?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Day 2 (Part 1: Lone Pine to Big Pine/Zurich)

Woke up to a beautiful sunrise on the Eastern Sierras.

Headed North to the Reward Mine. The trails were fast and fun, and I only missed a couple turn-offs(per usual). Trail up to the mine was a little rocky, but quite enjoyable.

We walked about a half-mile into the mine.

I hope this pic is on their family Christmas card(with my corn-fed ass cropped out, of course)

[mention]Do Dah [/mention] lookin’ fresh!

Had a beverage break at Kearsarge and checked out the section of narrow gauge rail. I was walking backwards holding my phone trying to get all the trucks in-frame when my right leg fell into a cattle guard grate and I totally ate shit on the ground. Fucking tourist...

North of Kearsarge the trail was narrow and lined with flowers. Perfect place for another drink!

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Kev charge up behind me in the White Buffalo Bronco, then exhuberantly jump out of the truck and exclaim “Dude, Rouse, that trail was fucking badass!!” It put a smile of my face every time!

Me: “Hell yeah, dude! That WAS badass! Let’s have a celebratory beer!”

Tinemaha Reservoir

Random cairn

Stopped to relax off Death Valley Rd outside Big Pine and Zurich.

[mention]dose [/mention] ‘s Tacoma is a work of sleeper art

And

[mention]bajaf250 [/mention]’s Mobza is going to get linked, so stay tuned for that whitetrashery.

FASGLAS Taylor’s Tacoma is well-outfitted and sexy lookin’

My son Jacob was having an awesome time. It was an excellent father-son trip for us!

Yeah Mobza Brent! Reppin’ the late 90’s metal mulisha shirt! Watch out ladies!

Jun 3, 2004
Corona, Ca
www.mullenfabworks.com
I made one of many wrong turns, radioed to keep left and on the fucking gas through the super light volcanic fucking peagravel bullshit sand, and ended up getting stuck in the super light volcanic fucking peagravel bullshit sand, then unstuck, then stuck again. I had to use my overlander traction boards. Taylor pulled me forward, subsequently got stuck, so I pulled him backward, and then we finally freed ourselves. Copious amounts of shit talking ensued!
Sounds like the climax of a clothing-optional movie. Spicy.

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Very cool!

I think I asked in the other thread about this trip, Is there any info on the bronco anywhere? That thing is cool and has an odd link setup.

Speaking of tweakers, do you guys carry self defense devices on these trips?
I don't think Kevin with the bronco is on here. The rear is a mesazine setup kinda like cantilever but shocks are vertical. Its a very impressive rig, well thought out and top notch fabrication.

For protection I have a Leatherman multi tool in my drivers door

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds