The sandy vagina

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Might as well post the updates im doing to my sand rail in a new thread instead of whoring up my tracker thread.

Bought this POS in 2014 for 8k, had type 2 cv's, bus 091 trans (was told it was stock, found out later it was built), honda j30a1 v6, air bags on the rear arms with 14" 2.0 coilover shocks (no springs but had springs to use) and bat geometry, an old chassis that was wrecked, rebuilt, extended to sort-of-a-4-seater (enough room for kids), a-arm front with bad geometry and fox 8.5" stroke 2.0 shocks, link pin front spindles and no front brakes, and other junk that made it driveable/fun. I knew it needed work.... LOTS of work to actually drive well and i hymed/hawed over buying it with the guy for a while. There was no other car with the potential this had for the price and i had the time to fuck with it screw it, bought it!

Day i picked it up and brought it home.

first thing was to ditch the air bags and go coil springs. Then found out the rear 3x3 arm mounts on the frame were in the wrong position making the inner bushing just destroy its self. So i hacked up the mounts, moved them so each pivot could have a line drawn straight through them and welded them in. Also ditched the little 1/2" heim used at the outer pivot for a 7/8" heim and upped the tube size going back. From there it got 930 CV's, new axles, coils on the shocks, and some paint around the bottom

after fixing everything on the rear arms.

added B pillar supports

took it to the cinders for 4th of july and enjoyed it! valving was soft in the rear and 1300+ paddles were shot but boy was it fun

next up was to help kill some front bump steer. added a spreader to the steering rack and this adjustable top that helps kill out slack between the rack and pinion. bump steer is way better but still there.

before

after

(this fucking photobucket shit is bs but what ever)

Moved on to adding a better light rack and putting HID's on the lower mounts. Then a new steering stem

added intercom and car to car as well as replaced the bushing style steering column for a needle bearing style.

painted the whole chassis, new 1300+ paddles, shocks re valved and sprung, and added a full aluminum pan front to back the next day

Drove it the first half of the dune season like this before the rough sand and too stiff of valving causes the back cage to let go... to be honest, the damn thing is .095 mild steel and lacking support, im not suprised for how i drive it. This is now Jan 2015 a this point

same .095 1.5" tube but more support off the C pillar and tried to tie in some dead nodes. Has made it to now with out issue!

i also threw on some extreme 14.50 comp paddles. teh 1300+ were just not biting enough. i would zing through the gears and the extra clearance at bump was nice

By March of 2015, it was a trip down to baja time. lots of prep work and adding creature comforts like xm radio to the head sets, extra fuel, etc.

The trip went off awesome. 460 miles from Tecate to San Felipe, Percebu, then back to Tecate. rzr's were sucking down gas while i was averaging about 28mpg as 4th gear was 1.10 on 4.57 gear. that worked good concidering i had a 5 gal sun aluminum gas tank lol.

cant remember the name of this ranch but everyone bought the piss gas they had there accept me lol

Valley T eating tacos

watching the rain come in and miss us

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
lake bed was fuuuuuucked to drive in. one rzr damn near buried it and i got turned around just before i sunk in, took the side road around

beer stop

Percebu the next day. We were suppose to go down to Puertecitos but we partied pretty hard at Papas and Beer, then the strip joint and the next day was hell... till about 9:30 when we had bloody marys at the little joint on the beach. We headed to Percebu about 11:00, headed into the little bar and proceeded to drink damn near every beer they had but holy fuck were the fish tacos awesome when your hammered.

headed back to tecate the next morning and proceeded to enter a live CORE race we didnt realize till the lead guy pulled off the road because of pits along it. he radioed back to get the fuck off the road as TT trucks were about to come by. SHIT! i hammered down as i was second to last and got off the road. not 10 sec later, a TT comes by and my dad in his rzr was behind me. im like, FUCK, i hope they got the fuck out of the way.... nope. where they were at was full of creosote trees and no place to pull off. TT drive bumped them and smashed the fuck out of the exhaust and plastics. My dad jammed off into the bushes at point just to get the fuck out of the way. Nothing we couldnt wire tie up and get back with but he now has a sticker on the back of his rzr that says "trophy truck parking". not every day you get to say you were nerfed by a TT in a stock rzr and lived :ROFLMAO: . no pics sadly as we were on a mission to get the fuck back. Finally rolled in about 6pm that night

fine tequila shots to celebrate.

more to come later......

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
what are the rear spring rates on your sandy vagina?
And does your VA-J use 14" shocks?

doing 3x3s on mine soon with 14s and Subaru engine.
I think the used coilovers I bought are 300 over 500. pretty sure that's too much

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Yeah I’m running 14” stroke 2.5 ibp shocks now on 5x5 arms, that was on 3x3 with 225/300 on 14” 2.0. A 12” really would have been better for less than 1:1 ratio.

Next update to come in a few min

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
At some point after the baja trip, i took out the 091 bus box i thought was stock, sold it for 1000 bucks and bought a fully build refreshed 091 from a guy for 2300 bucks. Threw it in and then came upon an engine deal.

I dont know the time this took place but i want to say it was june-ish of 2015. Friend of mine had a 3.2 v6 honda with computer and harness, full turbo kit plus clutch and adapter for a price i couldnt pass up. i tried like hell to figure out a decent way to put the turbo kit on but i would have had to redesign the whole kit or redone the whole rear chassis. Plus the fact i was still on a 091 bus box and already would be pushing it with that little ring and pinion. the 3.2 has 20-30hp more than the 3.0 and i made my money back and then some after selling the rest of the parts off. free 20-30hp for a little labor?? ill take that.

first version of the exhaust out the back. i wanted the 2 into 1 to give it that "higher revving" sound to it and added another muffler as my 7 month old daughter at the time would not keep a small headset on her. it worked real well and was surpisingly quiet but it was too quiet for me when dune season came later that year.

car seat mounted in teh back on top of a rack i had built. also added a removable crossbar behind her seat that would support the back of it.

This all lasted till about Septemberish 2016 and i wanted to change the back rack out for a suspension bench seat. i figured if we had another kiddo, both would fit. That turned into "i dont like the radiator being as high as it is and the 5 gal fuel tank with no sump sucks ass in the bowls" so next thing i know, the interior is being reworked. Made a shroud for the rad to get the fans off the rad, lowered the radiator about 8", put a 12 gal sun aluminum fuel tank in with a square sump at the bottom, flipped the intake around and re-worked the air filter tubing, added the bench seat and new cross bars to ditch teh swiss cheese .083 wall stuff it had. i didnt like where the bench seat placement was. its too high and too far forward but the trans shifter on the trans is just in the wrong spot. it worked pretty well for the next couple years though.

went through oct 2016 - march 2017 dune season this way without issue.

bench seat and rad mock up. wish the rad could be that low but nope

fan shroud

all done

Car sat on the back burner while i looked for 2.5" 14" stroke IBP foxes to put on the rear. the 2.0s were either too stiff in the chop or couldnt handle bottom out control. double stack .020, 1 bleed hole and only 200psi in the resi didnt help (i didnt know then about valving what i know now lol, this was my first real time getting into it). Finally found some IBP's and started measuring out how to mount them. realized how much longer and wider they were and wouldnt really work without a full suspension re-work. Sat around and thought about it for a bit when i decided to go overkill. I found a great deal on RBP 12" discs, micro stub, fab parts for making arms and wilwood calipers. Also ordered new RCV 930 CV's (boy are they junk) at the time and would order new axles once the arms were done. changed teh wheels from 2" back space to 3.5" back space to negate some of the added arm width (i like it slim for cinders ohv area). Also changed the muffler out for a straight pipe. mad did it sound good then!

I believe at this point, i started posting this crap here on DR under the tracker thread so ill just threw a few pics up

bye bye type 1 stub stuff and the possibility of the tire passing me by from a broke axle

hover craft mode with my daughter "helping"

tacked together and checking fitment

buzzed it all in, made the other side, measured for axles and finished shock mounts. went from 13.5" of travel to 16.5" of travel with 26* of cv angle at its worse point. somehow ive lost pics of the final assembly but we took it out and i immediately bent the upper shock mounts. they were just 1" .120 wall tube with alot of stand off. plus the fact when i re-setup the back end, i added 1 more inch of bottom out clearance so the cage would quick smacking sand. well it quit smacking sand but the mounts couldnt take it, this is when i finally noticed the engine was actually mounted crooked the whole time too lmao.

you can see the mounts are bent up and bent the bolt

3/16" plate later, good to go.... for the next ride where i then bent the bolts, not the mounts. So F911's went in and i added 3" foa foam sahft bumps. no issues since

finished out the 2017-18 season while blowing up 2 RCV cv's, both got warrantied but i was told i would not get a warranty on any more if they go. WTF?? they wanted to blame my angle as the issue. i actually threw two empi cv's in with just chromoly cages and had 0 issues since. fuck them. 18-19 season, ran the car HARD. did a guys ride in feb of 2019 and 2nd gear started whining. i just ran 1st and 3rd the rest of the weekend till i was leading during mid afternoon and totally misread the dunes. Flew off a 10ft drop off and smacked the back end real fucking hard. snapped the two C pillars at the bottom frame tube. i was good and it really didnt feel "too hard" to me but car got parked after that. i missed all of the 19-20 season due to truck issues and not fixing the car but that brings us current and the whole setup ill be change to now hehehe

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
So while she sat around, I started planning what I was going to do. Figured I’d start looking for a 2d mendeola if one came up, otherwise I’d just rebuild the 091. Gay boy jake’s dad was yanking 2d out and we made a deal on that. Perfect, now I couldn’t just throw a larger trans in without more power. Decided to put a gen 5 m90 supercharger on the 3.2 and use an AEM plug and play computer since the stock one can’t be tuned. Got 410cc injectors coming and a 4 bar map sensor. Hoping for around 280-300rwhp but we will see. Dyno tuning time come when done.

In the mean time, bench seat is coming out for two re-upholsterer kids seats (these are not the jr ones they sell now, they are the older ones that are larger and give the kids room to grow into), going to fix the chassis and add more support, lower my front seats (always been slightly high), and some other junk. I got a dual disk 8” clutch from papa Gort as well which I’m going to swap the flywheel for a Honda unit and use. Will be plenty of clutch then for the power. Going to put the optima in my tracker and put an odessy 680 under the kids seat. The current mount is in the way for chassis bracing and I don’t have shit for room to place the optima anywhere else.

Yesterday I started tear down. Trans out, bench seat out, cv’s gone, clutch out, exhaust off and started measuring. New trans will push the cv’s toward the front 1” so I’m going to push the engine as fsr bad as I can, about .5 to .75”. 2d is also 2” narrower at the cups overall so longer axles are needed (big plus). Only issue I see so far is fuel tank sump may hit the trans top but I can move it up some.

May need to up spring rates but we will see. I wanted to re-valve these shocks again anyhow. Needs more bottom out control

Reactions: dose

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
That is a horrible place for the radiator. If you ever have in issue with it it's going to hose the rear seats down with boiling water. I have seen this happen and it's something I will never forget.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds