The Terminator 2

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ why?? So you distribute force across entire upper arm instead of localizing all force through the spindle bolt/pivot??

and good grief, those must be loud.

speed king

Sep 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure the idea is to get the bump stop to move with the arm, which is why it doesn’t use a “can” mount but a shock cap on the bump and tabs for it to mount off of so it pivots in with the arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Yes, zero scrub on the bump means the mounts don't need to be nearly as strong.

Renezeders truck had regular bypasses for slappers in the rear.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yes, zero scrub on the bump means the mounts don't need to be nearly as strong.

Renezeders truck had regular bypasses for slappers in the rear.
OK, so I guess I am still missing the point. Any weight saved for the bump mount....would be put right back on(and probably more) with the whole assembly that pivots, right?

Also, since that is part of the suspension lever... technically speaking... wouldn't 50% of that new weight you added for the assembly be "unsprung". I can see how you won't have scrub. But what is benefit of that besides not having to replace a delrin pad occasionally? (seeing as I assume the weight savings is cancelled out with my thought above)

Barge is on to something with the "bottom mount ressy" bump stop idea. Seems like this would be a better design than an emulsion shock for bottoming resistance.

Still wondering how loud that "slapping" must be too. I mean, it looks like metal to metal. That can't be good on the ears... or the thing in between your ears.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
technically speaking... wouldn't 50% of that new weight you added for the assembly be "unsprung".
No. 50% of the slapper arm yes, but it attaches so far inboard that it really doesn't make a difference. All of the oldschool trucks that ran that way had urethane bumps on the arm. No metal to metal. Also the slapper shock geometry looks less than desirable on the above truck. Also short bumpstop.........

Jun 6, 2005
San Diego California
For me personally it was a combination of not wanting some monstrosity of a bump stop mount hanging off the top of the shock mount to hold a bumpcan and with the old school style of the truck I thought slapper arms would be rad. That truck posed above is Luke McMillins Racer chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds