TIPS FOR A 4.0 SOHC?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Danger Ranger SD

supercharged sleepy slut
Aug 24, 2019
san diego
Whatsup yall. about to supercharge my second 4.0 after my last one caught on fire from a melted fuel line. i need to pull my engine to repair the rear timing chain tensioner, and while i was in there i was gonna replace my head gasket, studs, and timing chain. does anybody have any experience in running these engines hard? i wasnt going to even touch the bottom end at all and im not sure if it will hold up at sustained high rpm. any advice is appreciated for upgrades or maintenance so i wont have to pull the engine again soon!

Danger Ranger SD

supercharged sleepy slut
Aug 24, 2019
san diego
yeah man i was looking at supersix and for all the bells and whistles; cams, heads, hardware, pistons, etc, it would be like 8 grand. at that point i think im just better off switching to the big boy v8 like everybody else already did lol. no replacement for displacement or some shit

Danger Ranger SD

supercharged sleepy slut
Aug 24, 2019
san diego
well for reliability i think im actually sold on the 4.0 sohc. i took the engine out yesterday and tore down the complete timing system and holy fuck its a miracle my engine wasnt destroyed. the jackshaft chain tensioner was completely destroyed with huge chunks of the metal bracket floating around everywhere in the oil pan, and the right bank guide and tensioner were both shattered and had huge pieces of plastic everywhere. the engine somehow kept time, even after driving it from san diego to the bay area and back a few weeks ago lol. the oil pickup was STUFFED with debris. but the engine was still running like a champ!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds