TJW's '96 Ranger Backyard Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Things where the spindle pivot point is centered on the spindle center line like beams aren't effected by caster much. Cornering is however. You will not notice much of a change in strait line stability going from 7* to 10*. Your corning grip will suffer however and it will make life harder on your steering components.

I know people run up to 12* and it just makes me shake my head.

Reactions: charlie_brown

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Things where the spindle pivot point is centered on the spindle center line like beams aren't effected by caster much. Cornering is however. You will not notice much of a change in strait line stability going from 7* to 10*. Your corning grip will suffer however and it will make life harder on your steering components.

I know people run up to 12* and it just makes me shake my head.
Just to be clear you would recommend closer to 7*? As always I appreciate your knowledge and experience!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
7-10, whatever floats your boat, you will never notice the difference.

I have driven a Ranger that went from 7 to 12 and then back to 8ish. Drove better in the corners with less. Straight line it never felt all that different. Scrub radius will make a more noticeable difference.

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
7-10, whatever floats your boat, you will never notice the difference.

I have driven a Ranger that went from 7 to 12 and then back to 8ish. Drove better in the corners with less. Straight line it never felt all that different. Scrub radius will make a more noticeable difference.
Alright game plan is to shoot for 7* of caster and if possible zero scrub... got a lot of work to do before then! Lol

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Another misconception is castor change. Cycling it on jack stands is very different than what happens while you are driving. Due to chassis attitude change your spindles stay pretty consistent angle to the ground. This is what matters, not there relationship to the chassis. So under braking while it's important it doesn't change all that much. Landing off a jump it's going to change like the jackstand simulation, but you're usually not cranking the wheel over when fully bumped.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Another misconception is castor change. Cycling it on jack stands is very different than what happens while you are driving. Due to chassis attitude change your spindles stay pretty consistent angle to the ground. This is what matters, not there relationship to the chassis. So under braking while it's important it doesn't change all that much. Landing off a jump it's going to change like the jackstand simulation, but you're usually not cranking the wheel over when fully bumped.
I can see what you are saying here based on acceleration (squatting) and braking plus terrain issues. I am trying my best to get a "decent" ride height set up hopefully the 41" radius arms help with all of the above concerns etc....and no I hope to not be at full crank off of a jump! Lol

1450ranger

busy
Aug 1, 2003
yucaipa
www.giantmotorsports.com
Well you were right I had to clearance the pivots Clarence! Progress today was just that and a shit ton of measuring, cycling, and more measuring...BORRIIIIIINNNGGGGG!!!

On a more important note what are y'alls thoughts on caster for the king pin set up...i had been doing a lot of my measurements basing it off of 10* at ride height....too much? Too little? I'm kinda at a stand still at the moment til I figure this out!

If it helps this truck is gonna be 70% play, 25% on the road, and maybe 5% race...maybe

No worries buddy. Just trying to help you out... I also figured that out the hard way on a project.

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
No worries buddy. Just trying to help you out... I also figured that out the hard way on a project.
At least the first "trim" job worked so I don't have to do any more! Just gonna make the back half of the pivot mirror the front next time I'm out in the garage!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds