TJW's '96 Ranger Backyard Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Well I finally got some time to work on the ole girl again! Inlaws were in town for a week or so hanging with the little man and while he slept my father in law and I fucked around on the Bronco (he's likes tweaking on stuff here and there so I thought it would be fun for both of us). Anywho I got the beams kinda in there final resting place and the and got the tubes for the radius arms cut to length and the pivots clearanced. I am at the point now where I am just gonna weld the radius arms to the beams, seems like the most simple way to get my caster set and so on. Progress...
Weather: 95 and humid as fuck
Time: 3 hours
PPE: soaking wet long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots, HF safety glasses, and welding gloves
Tools: HF trans jack, makita grinder, tape measure, angle finder, sharpie, c clamps
Music: Heavy Metal
Beverages: not enough for how much I was sweating
Explitives yelled: mostly whispered "fucks" when sweat dropped in my eyes
Only took a few pics this time....

Oh and here is the Bronco too...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Just wait, the heat gets worse. Houston doesn't get as hot temperature wise as central Texas but holy shit the humidity will wreck your shit down here.

Sean

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Just wait, the heat gets worse. Houston doesn't get as hot temperature wise as central Texas but holy shit the humidity will wreck your shit down here.

Sean
Unfortunately I am familiar we have been here for 6 years and I was in the academy in full gear in the middle of summer! How long you been out here?

Reactions: DirtFiend602

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Unfortunately I am familiar we have been here for 6 years and I was in the academy in full gear in the middle of summer! How long you been out here?

Shit, I must have gotten mixed up. I thought you moved fairly recently.

29 years and counting but that doesn't really count (native Houstonian)

Academy in summer in gear sounds rough, do they hose y'all down after you put the fires out?

Sean

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Shit, I must have gotten mixed up. I thought you moved fairly recently.

29 years and counting but that doesn't really count (native Houstonian)

Academy in summer in gear sounds rough, do they hose y'all down after you put the fires out?

Sean
All good man! Always happy to see people with the same passion outside of the CA, NV, AZ triangle you have a Yota all done up right?

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
All good man! Always happy to see people with the same passion outside of the CA, NV, AZ triangle you have a Yota all done up right?

Yep, its getting there. I am really considering doing a bro-lite class build for tdra at some point but I have to finish other projects first.

Sean

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Yep, its getting there. I am really considering doing a bro-lite class build for tdra at some point but I have to finish other projects first.

Sean
I did see that there is a west Texas organization that basically runs on a few different ranches, only reason I looked in to it is that one of them is 3 hours from me! I would love to go WAYYYY back west and do RATR with my ranger but I have a long way to go! Trying to build right!

Reactions: smokeysevin

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
More progress today, got one of the radius arms welded to the beam and have my caster angle set at 7° at ride height. Based on where the beams both matched up I need to trim the engine crossmember to get more bump travel OR I just leave it as is. Right now from ride height it is 12 inches to metal bump! I do like where it is now as, accounting for tire squish, my lowest contact point will be 3" from the ground at "full bump". As far as the radius arms I have toyed around with either boxing/plating them with 10 gauge or "stacking" another 1.75x.120w tube under it what are y'alls thoughts? Pics...

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Made some progress yesterday on the radius arm plating. One side is tacked and ready to burn, still need to tack the other side together
Time: 4 hours
Weather: pleasant 85° and cloudy
PPE: long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots, muffs, eye pro, welding gloves, welding hood
Music: Metal
Explitives: 3x Fuck yous when the grinder jumped off my mark
Material: 10 gauge
Tools: c clamps, makita grinder, welding table, vise, millermatic 211
Beverages: 4 Coors Lights
Only took a couple pics...

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips