Updated pics

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
What dont you like about them?
I don't have a clear, concise answer to that. Overall, I just find them aesthetically unpleasing. To myself and many others as well. The overall shape is very funky, very foreign. The recesses on the front/top/bottom of the housing I'm not a fan of. The way the lens wraps around the side. The arrangement of the individual leds I think make them look like honeycomb. I hate to be negative and say all these negative things on a forum, im never one to talk shit. But because you asked, I told. Since you work at BD, have you heard any of these same things from others?
Remember in 2004 when the new style F150 came out? I hated that too for a while. Now I love them. Or when the 2007 tundra came out. I thought they were ugly as shit. Now I like them. Probably the same story here. Wouldn't be surprised if my truck has LP's on it in a couple years and I stumble across this thread and laugh at my stupidity hahahaha

goofballracer

whatever
Feb 8, 2008
I don't have a clear, concise answer to that. Overall, I just find them aesthetically unpleasing. To myself and many others as well. The overall shape is very funky, very foreign. The recesses on the front/top/bottom of the housing I'm not a fan of. The way the lens wraps around the side. The arrangement of the individual leds I think make them look like honeycomb. I hate to be negative and say all these negative things on a forum, im never one to talk shit. But because you asked, I told. Since you work at BD, have you heard any of these same things from others?
Remember in 2004 when the new style F150 came out? I hated that too for a while. Now I love them. Or when the 2007 tundra came out. I thought they were ugly as shit. Now I like them. Probably the same story here. Wouldn't be surprised if my truck has LP's on it in a couple years and I stumble across this thread and laugh at my stupidity hahahaha
It is always good to hear feed back good or bad, it is a very evolved light. There isn't really anything out there like it. We have to do things like this that are unique. We have to make it difficult for the overseas manufacturers to rip off the design. one reason we made the S8 have the scalloped housing. No one will spend the time or money to copy it. We are trying to innovate and push the envelope of what is possible. Most love them some hate them.

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
It is always good to hear feed back good or bad, it is a very evolved light. There isn't really anything out there like it. We have to do things like this that are unique. We have to make it difficult for the overseas manufacturers to rip off the design. one reason we made the S8 have the scalloped housing. No one will spend the time or money to copy it. We are trying to innovate and push the envelope of what is possible. Most love them some hate them.
I agree on all accounts. I never thought of the anti copying aspect of it. BD is #1 for offroad lights in my eyes, I'm sure the envelope will always be pushed.

Reactions: ljubera0250

98RangerDAVE

Smile...Wait for Flash
May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA
Finished a small skid plate build with a friend and clean the f150 up a bit... Raptor badging on an XLT!?!?!? Oh no! Funny thing is I went with the 3.7 v6 for the MPG.... joke was on me once I added the Raptor wheels and 35s.

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
I am not a fan of the new LP9's shape either. One of the main appeals to going LED was the bar shape. Much more compact and aerodynamic. With these you are right back to the Lightforce 9" wind sails/radiator blockers. Why go back to the shape we were trying to get away from? Easier to sell? I see no performance advantage and a couple of key disadvantages.

If you want something that no one will copy, go back to the billet housings. I guaranty know one will copy the original bike housings I made........

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Just wondering why you didn't run the skid plate down to the bottom of the frame... So if it was used it would slide you over things.

On the lights I agree. If I am running big round lights then I am running some HID's which I prefer anyways due to the distance I can get out of them. LED's for closer/flood. My Opinion

Reactions: the bodj

98RangerDAVE

Smile...Wait for Flash
May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA
Just wondering why you didn't run the skid plate down to the bottom of the frame... So if it was used it would slide you over things.
We used existing factory bolts as a starting point for the skid plate so it could be bolt on and removed at a later time. We used a 3” piece of flat steel to weld the tube to, then bolted the flat steel to factory bolts.

Attachments

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Ha. That pic shows something totally different then what I saw first. The first few pics I thought the rear crossmember was the front one. Weird how the rear looks to hang much lower then the front.

Reactions: 98RangerDAVE

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds