UTV coilovers on different applications?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

desertbound1024

Jul 23, 2012
Always wondered what the difference between coilovers produced for UTV and typical race series coilovers is. I have a set of walker evans 2.5x12 coilovers with compression adjusters off the rear of a Rzr XP4 that I’m considering putting on my Jeep WJ project. Other than spring rates and a re-valve, what is the issues you see with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr.fab

Feb 22, 2010
Hell Cajon
My experience is they're aluminum. So they're pretty thick wall. Takes away inside volume.

Also being aluminum the threads get damaged very easily so the adjuster gets stuck if you aren't careful.

The piston in the one's I've taken apart look like they'll crack the shims with heavy use like the older kusters.

I would just take the resi off and use them on another shock.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: desertbound1024

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
depends on the shock. Walkers are walkers, they dont have much variance between the UTV shock and buying from walker other than specific stroke and size made for the vehicle.

one thing with walkers, they are decent shocks but the shock shims are EXPESNIVE! like 2 bucks a shim vs .20-.25 for a fox shim. So a revalve is NOT cheap on them

Reactions: desertbound1024

desertbound1024

Jul 23, 2012
From the little research I did, looks like the factory spring rates on the rear of an xp4 is 160/270. Most guys run anywhere from a 150/250 to 200/300 on my application. Going to bolt them in and see how it does with its current springs and valving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: A.J.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds