WannaB4000

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Hey folks, I'll try the forum thing and get a "build" thread going with my project and try to keep it updated as much as possible. The scope of this project is basically to act like I know what I'm doing and keep whatever fab skills I have sharp and maybe learn a few more. Mainly an excuse to drink more beer and cut more metal. I've got a desk job so this is a good way to keep busy after work and get off my ass. Enough about me though.

Picked up the truck from some crack heads in Topeka for $600 with a blown transmission (A4LD) and drug it home. Its a 94 B4000 4x4. Rebuilt the trans which was fairly tricky as its the first time i've opened up an auto and rebuilt it, but got it done. Slapped on some 31s and drove it for a year to see if there were any outstanding issues with the truck overall.

Threw in a trans cooler and a few other bits. Check this bitch out

Got drunk with a buddy and wrapped it since I felt bad that the neighbors had to look at it parked in the driveway all the time.

$180 wrap job, bought some time.

Had a guy cut up an F150 for me for $300 and spent some time rebuilding the difs, axles, brakes etc. Going to go the D44 route. Here is the front end all freshened up.

Rebuilt the 8.8 (I know ya'll say their shit but its a starter)

Decided to go with 4:10 gearing since this is going to spend a majority of its time on the pavement as just my knockaround beater vehicle.

Used parts a pretty hard to find around here, but picked up some fox 14"s for the front 6 hrs away and some 18's bypasses for the rear another 5 hrs away.

Picked up a set of beat to shit Alcoas and had them powdercoated, think they came out pretty nice.

This was about a year to get to this point sadly.

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
So about mid March I had enough stuff done to go ahead and start the teardown.

Aaaaaaand poof.

Pretty much just went at it with the prasma cuttel

Doing the chevy spring swap so had to clearance these brackets

Came back later and re supported the hanging tab.

Sold the 31s and got some 33's mounted on those Alcoas. The tow pig in the meantime is my WRX Sti, dont judge

Drug those bitches home

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
So I'm doing things a little different when it comes to the bedcage and such. Not ready to do an interior cage at this point but am going to go ahead and incorporate a C pillar into the bedcage. I know there is a risk of this smashing the back of the cab, but fuck it, might get lucky. The hope is to be able to tie this into the interior cage at a later day if i decide to go that route.

Throw tubes at it, see where they land.

Making my own shackles, not boxed in but you get the point. Can't do a tie-in to save my life.

Slathered some POR15 on the frame, maybe that will hold it together.

So thats it, pretty much caught up to the point I am now

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Got the shackles boxed in and finished those up. Drilled a few drain holes towards the hangar bushing that aren't shown. Was kind of an afterthought after mocking them up.

Also threw the bed back on and tacked in a few cross bars on before getting too carried away with the rest of the tubes.

Spent most of yesterday getting the old bushings out of the leaf springs. That was a pain in the ass. But tje springs are at least ready for a new set.

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Boring couple of updates, but the bushings are in and got the d44 brackets tacked together. Actually kind of fun fitting those together. Thank you again to those that helped me get a set.

Red bushings cuz its faster that way.

So i guess the next step is starting working on the lower shock tabs for the rear.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds