WannaB4000

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Have you cycled the rear yet? Typically the spring hangers like to be pushed really far back on the Fords to keep the main leaf front binding at droop.
I did with the stock bushings but were restricting droop it felt like. Guessing I should plan on scooting the hangars back? these chevy springs are so flat I wasn't sure how much the shackle would actually be able to rotate.
8.8's aren't so bad. Just weld the tubes to the center section and party on.
Planned on welding and partying on, thank you. Will do that when I pull it to weld the spring perches on.

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Got the lower shock tabs made and turned out terrible so might revisit them later on or start over. Also got a few more tubes thrown in. Not super happy with how they came out but am just trying to keep moving forward.

Front beams are loosely held in place enough to fit the wheels/tires.

And finally scored some "used" bodywork. So i've got two things going against me when it comes to bodywork. The fact that its a mazda, and the fact that I'm in Oklahoma. Choices are incredibly scarce. Found some about 4 hours north so took off over the weekend and left at 4am. Drove for 8.5 hrs but got a set of old fiberwerx plus taillights for super cheap. Cheap enough to waste an entire day.

Not my preference but am gonna make it work. 4" flare front clip and bedsides. Just plopped it on for the time being.

Probably going to look a little goofy with the 33's but like i said, just had so few choices and didn't want to pay for new.

Now just waiting on a set of taller jack stands to get the truck a little higher off the ground.

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Moved the rear hangars back as far as I could and got some upper shock mounts mocked up.

Time to start chipping away at the front.

Am on the fence about building or buying the radius arms. Then if build (which is the likely scenario), how much caster to build into them. Am reading people running anywhere from 3-18 so am pretty clueless. Will probably shoot to build in 6deg based on sheer ignorance.

Also, would some of you folks mind chiming in on front springs? I know there are dozens of combinations out there, but am looking for a rough starting point since I haven't purchased any yet. At this point, it is a 14" 2.5" IFP coilover, with the stock 4.0L up front and no cage. Right now the only springs I have are 16" (pretty sure) x 500lb since they came used with the shocks.

Smithsl160

May 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Couple more updates. Made some radius arms, shot for 7 deg "nominal" caster.

Started with the front coilover mounts. No real science behind there they are landing on the frame other than just trying to clear the MC and keep it generally out of the way. The plan is to weld everything in.

Pass side

Driver side

Where they poke through to the engine bay, kind of get the idea how things are goin.

I will probably be ordering springs to start with. Didn't get much feedback so planning on going with a 400/325 to start with.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds