WHAT TABLET DOES EVERYONE RECOMMEND?!?!

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I have an Android Samsung GalaxyTab A 10.1 I got used off ebay years ago and run backcounrty navigator and it works awesome with the the external Dual GPS Antenna. The Internal Antenna worked but the refresh rate was too slow and I would miss turns because of that so upgraded to external antenna and never had a problem after that. Going to run the same tablet in my 68 F250 build and will have the restomod air app to control the AC as well as the torque pro app so I can check my codes or whatever on the tablet as well if needed.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Also I made a simple shelf type mount with a ram mount and used a couple zip ties around the whole thing to keep it in place and never had an issue. I'll have to make something better this time since I want it semi Flush in the dash not mounted floating in front of it this time.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
The T1 case from Mob Armor for the 10.5" is badass.

That being said, Apple doesn't sell 10.5's anymore but can be found online for fairly cheap. Get the Cellular/LTE model if you don't want to run an external/bluetooth GPS Antenna (Dual Skypro160), otherwise, a WiFi only model + Skypro 160 will work.
I was hoping you would chime in.

Do i need to pay for cell service to operate that GPS? And, if it is an internal GPS.. i would be concerned about reception.. or do they do fine?

As for the WiFi only model. I am ok with idea of external GPS because I assume it has a better refresh rate, likely bettter antenna, etc.

But... how the hell you mount that thing (Dual 160

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
I was hoping you would chime in.

Do i need to pay for cell service to operate that GPS? And, if it is an internal GPS.. i would be concerned about reception.. or do they do fine?

As for the WiFi only model. I am ok with idea of external GPS because I assume it has a better refresh rate, likely bettter antenna, etc.

But... how the hell you mount that thing (Dual 160
For the Cellular/LTE iPad, you do NOT need to pay for service for the GPS chip to function. Unless you are racing at HIGH speeds, the 1Hz refresh rate of the internal GPS is fine.

The dual Skypro 160 does 10Hz which isn't necessary/helpful unless you are approaching triple-digit speeds frequently. Mob Armor also makes a case and mount for the Skypro 160. You will want to keep the Skypro plugged into USB if you go this route. Or make DAMN sure you charge it before your outing or you WILL lose GPS signal.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea I was just reading more online. I will have to check out the mount for the skypro. I want this stuff to look nice and to all be mounted nicely as well.

I was planning to mount the mob armor mount with some bolts... right to the carbon fiber. Seems like it is just a VESA pattern. The dash may have a slight radius across that spread... so i may have to make some plastic spacers or something if it is too bad.

Seems like from what Tommy said.. the internal isn't going to cut it. I am used to the faster refresh on my Lowrance too... so I want comparable in the new ride. I also planned to use the Tablet to be able to control my AC(in addition to hand controls on d side) and maybe even switch pro's too. Shit, why not!? Hell, if i was smarter I bet you could figure out how to tie into holley stuff and all sorts of sensors and do some data logging and shit.

And yea, both to have to power. I am not relying on battery. Not that the battery wouldn't cut it.... it's ME that would forget to charge it!

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
yea I was just reading more online. I will have to check out the mount for the skypro. I want this stuff to look nice and to all be mounted nicely as well.

I was planning to mount the mob armor mount with some bolts... right to the carbon fiber. Seems like it is just a VESA pattern. The dash may have a slight radius across that spread... so i may have to make some plastic spacers or something if it is too bad.

Seems like from what Tommy said.. the internal isn't going to cut it. I am used to the faster refresh on my Lowrance too... so I want comparable in the new ride. I also planned to use the Tablet to be able to control my AC(in addition to hand controls on d side) and maybe even switch pro's too. Shit, why not!? Hell, if i was smarter I bet you could figure out how to tie into holley stuff and all sorts of sensors and do some data logging and shit.

And yea, both to have to power. I am not relying on battery. Not that the battery wouldn't cut it.... it's ME that would forget to charge it!
If you want to take the tablet in and out easily, I would suggest the TabNetic flush.

My gut says you won't need any spacers as the dash is somewhat flexible. You are correct that it is a 75mm VESA pattern.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, just checked. dash seems plenty flat for a 3" square pattern.

T1 appears to be powder coated machined Al. So, no wonder it's $250
T2 appears to be powder coated steel sheet metal?
T3 appears to have a powder coated laser cut Al top... and not sure if base is Al too?

T2 seems crappiest, so why would it be middle priced!?

Also wondering why I cant find any damn dimensions on the GPS V2 mount for the skypro 160. (I might be able to sneak that in on top of dash between window "A" bars)

So now I need to find the tablet to buy first. I am leaning towards Wifi only.

Not seeing the need to facetime during a drive or anything. haha
Also wasn't planning to remove it from the truck really. More of just a command center for truck

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
T1 is top tier. Cnc machined from 6061
T2 is cnc bent 5052 aluminum. (bends allow the face plate to also cover the sides, blocks side volume buttons)
T3 is steel (no bends, flat plate on top, flat plate on bottom with sides exposed, Can use side volume buttons)

ALL are powdercoated.

You can call and ask for exterior dimensions on the GPS V2 Mount. Customer Service is top-notch, at least when I worked there.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
i bought an Airpad 3 10.5" as it seems to be the newest big juan for the baller T1

Found one new WiFi space gray one in the box with 256GB. $595. Why not, it's just money. LOL

looks like Kartek has best price on mob armor after finding their sku's on their site.... Now that I am back to being a jew about my money. haha

Reactions: mikey09120

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds