Whoaaa, I must be tripping .... Project GhettoTrip. G3 Bitches.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
when you pull the cap off, put on of those little thread pitch gauges on the caps threads to see what they are. usually tap/die sets have them in their box. if they are standard, thats pretty simple as it will read "TPI" threads per inch. simple math from there. if its metric, you will have to do some conversions.
Yea, I just got the spec from King. I think it was Mike? He said that he just backs it off.. then rotates it and manually calculates the TPI. Then when you tighten it, make it so it hits 1/4" to 3/8" before the mark you want it to be on. He said they can torque on a slight amount further than the last time. AL probably crushes a little?

FYI: The actual spec on a King Pre-runner 2.5 bypass top cap is 2.405-20. So, it is 20 TPI. 1 thread should be .05"

So. 1 Thread = 360 degrees or .05". Let's assume I need to rotate them 20*

If I need to rotate one cap 20 degrees tighter... I would need to remove 1/18 of one thread. In that case according to my calcs, I would have to remove .00278" of material.

Did i get that right??

This will be different on the other side, because the diver side really needs to be 20* the other direction.. So, if I am thinking right... I will have to actually calculate at 160 degrees on that one.

Last edited:

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
If I need to rotate one cap 20 degrees tighter... I would need to remove 1/18 of one thread. In that case according to my calcs, I would have to remove .00278" of material.
If you can’t find someone closer, I’ll do it for a tallboy of King Cobra.

Sarcastic commentary and dick jokes will be extra, however.

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^LOL>

Well, this took an interesting turn. When I was talking to the guy at King yesterday... I mentioned the difficulty with the top cap removal. He said he has a special tool that indexes in the ressy port that holds the body still so he can remove top cap. I thought DownSouth would be able to remove them... I even mentioned our plan to call DS. He didn't seem to think otherwise.

Well, my brother called DownSouth. He said that DS told him we need to send them to King because of this special tool!

WTF!? How can King be the only ones to get this cap off!!??

Hmm. Maybe i just do my best to guesstimate the rotation we need..and mark it.... and then just have them do it all with clocking, etc?

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Mark how you want them indexed (King does them in 45* intervals), tear them down to bare cylinders and take them to king. This way you know it’s done correctly and they’ll warranty it if it leaks.

They have a special tool that slips inside the shock cylinder and keys into the Resi port to give them something to grab and twist with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ so even you as a shock guy is in the same boat. Crazy.

Interesting you said 45*. When I was looking at it last night... that is about where it looked like it needed to be.

IMO... they are in serious need of a redesign. Not being able to clock the cap is lame. I also don't like their tube layout (comp tube in series).

Not a big fan of Kings, bro.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds