Wiring/plumbing costs

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Has anyone on here paid a shop to do plumbing and wiring, and what did it cost?

Here’s the background... I, for whatever reason have a really hard time charging what I know I should be for labor. Not sure what kind of fucked up mentality I have or what, but I’m trying my best to correct this way of thinking and get to the point where I can actually do a little more than just make ends meet in life.
Anyhow... we are wiring the c10 and have pretty much plumbed it all already. I told the owner that side of it was going to be time+material and that all I knew is it won’t be cheap.
I’m shocked at how much I’ve already spent in wiring connectors, fuse box, etc. I’m mainly just trying to start some conversation on different shop rates, etc. all I know is at time plus parts the plumbing and wiring of this truck should be ~$20k and that’s at about $50/hr. Maybe we work slower than some places that charge $100/hr and that’s part of it.

I’m halfway venting/halfway looking for what others have paid for similar jobs. Any insight is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ljubera0250

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Ive gotten quotes from $2,500 to $25,000 to have my truck completely wired once it is closer to being finished. I’m taking headlights/taillights on high beams and low beams, turn signals, all the Off road lights on quick disconnect plugs, ignition/GPS/Race radio/antenna/pumpers, engine harness, etc. The $2,500 dude i know was gonna use cheap shit and I’ve seen his work, it’s OK and gets the job done but some of it had me scratching my head, meanwhile the $25,000 dude has wired many vehicles brand new that went from wiring to testing to finish line and that’s hard to beat with wiring. Out of the box not having a single electrical gremlin, that’s why he charges what he charges on top of using all mil spec doohickeys and all the wires are braided flawlessly and it’s all ran super neatly and tucked and hidden. Plus he leaves some extra wiring in there tucked in various spots in case you decide to change or add something later down the road. Some people can’t afford to loose a race due to wiring problems and you’ll get that with him.

Legit Electrical parts add up fast so if you’re in the neighborhood of $20,000 for a full truck wiring and plumbing using legit parts i don’t think you’re far off at all.

Reactions: NODNARB

PSDirtracer

Oct 17, 2007
Bermuda Dunes, CA
I know my weakness and i paid for my plumbing and wiring on my ranger, it was nothing crazy i dont think but the deal we made was i would get the parts once he gave me a list since we get a really good deal at Kartek and i would supply the bulk parts needed, and if something was forgotten or ran out of it he just got it from his source that met the same specs. It was about 2k in labor and about 3k in parts. And took about 2 months to complete with him working on it in between other cars he was building.

Wiring- Every job is different and mine was a ranger with stock 4.0 harness that was trimmed down and all autometer gauges, PCI radio and intercom, 10 rock lights all over the truck, headlights, taillights, turn signal, wipers, GPS, rear view camera, aeromotive fuel pump.
Plumbing- AN Fragola fitting on everything, braided fuel lines, hardline for brakes, braided lines for brakes,

I think i paid a lot but it was done super nice and i used higher end parts, but only because i wanted to do it once and make it look nice. And my ass wasn’t going to do it correct. I know i paid more for parts he bought because he up-charged it to cover his time on it and hassle.

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Ive gotten quotes from $2,500 to $25,000 to have my truck completely wired once it is closer to being finished. I’m taking headlights/taillights on high beams and low beams, turn signals, all the Off road lights on quick disconnect plugs, ignition/GPS/Race radio/antenna/pumpers, engine harness, etc. The $2,500 dude i know was gonna use cheap shit and I’ve seen his work, it’s OK and gets the job done but some of it had me scratching my head, meanwhile the $25,000 dude has wired many vehicles brand new that went from wiring to testing to finish line and that’s hard to beat with wiring. Out of the box not having a single electrical gremlin, that’s why he charges what he charges on top of using all mil spec doohickeys and all the wires are braided flawlessly and it’s all ran super neatly and tucked and hidden. Plus he leaves some extra wiring in there tucked in various spots in case you decide to change or add something later down the road. Some people can’t afford to loose a race due to wiring problems and you’ll get that with him.

Legit Electrical parts add up fast so if you’re in the neighborhood of $20,000 for a full truck wiring and plumbing using legit parts i don’t think you’re far off at all.

Thanks... we aren’t using the super high end stuff like cannon plugs, but it’s all deutsch connectors for most of the higher amperage things and some weatherpak connectors for lower amp things to try to save a few dollars here and there. Everything is labeled, heat shrinked, etc.

Plumbing is 100% a/n fittings and steel braided hose on flex lines and stainless hardliners for brake system, etc.

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
I know my weakness and i paid for my plumbing and wiring on my ranger, it was nothing crazy i dont think but the deal we made was i would get the parts once he gave me a list since we get a really good deal at Kartek and i would supply the bulk parts needed, and if something was forgotten or ran out of it he just got it from his source that met the same specs. It was about 2k in labor and about 3k in parts. And took about 2 months to complete with him working on it in between other cars he was building.

Wiring- Every job is different and mine was a ranger with stock 4.0 harness that was trimmed down and all autometer gauges, PCI radio and intercom, 10 rock lights all over the truck, headlights, taillights, turn signal, wipers, GPS, rear view camera, aeromotive fuel pump.
Plumbing- AN Fragola fitting on everything, braided fuel lines, hardline for brakes, braided lines for brakes,

I think i paid a lot but it was done super nice and i used higher end parts, but only because i wanted to do it once and make it look nice. And my ass wasn’t going to do it correct. I know i paid more for parts he bought because he up-charged it to cover his time on it and hassle.
You didn’t pay $4k for plumb and wire both did you?

PSDirtracer

Oct 17, 2007
Bermuda Dunes, CA
You didn’t pay $4k for plumb and wire both did you?

About 5k for both, thats me suppling the parts that i got a heavy discount on. This is a one man shop has low overhead and trying to build more business out of. I guess looking at it all i got a good deal. He mainly does hot rods because that his specialty but is a Jeep guy that wanted more off road business. The plumbing wasn't crazy it was just running the lines, the bulk of the labor cost was on wiring.

Looking at what your charging and what others have paid its on the bottom side of cost. I know it wasn't a hard job.

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
About 5k for both, thats me suppling the parts that i got a heavy discount on. This is a one man shop has low overhead and trying to build more business out of. I guess looking at it all i got a good deal. He mainly does hot rods because that his specialty but is a Jeep guy that wanted more off road business. The plumbing wasn't crazy it was just running the lines, the bulk of the labor cost was on wiring.

Looking at what your charging and what others have paid its on the bottom side of cost. I know it wasn't a hard job.
Cool. Thank you.

exp24

Jun 4, 2006
Nor cal
Don't beat yourself up on the labor cost, if you feel you did a good job and was honest with the hours than that's the final cost. I worked for a few guys that would get beat down on the price from the customers and they had plenty of money to spend. Most people don't understand the material cost let alone know how much time the tasks take

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Useless addition but...

I've never paid labor to have either done and I don't even remember the costs involved for parts... I do remember being absolutely shocked though at how much materials added up to on the race truck 6-7 years ago when I wired and plumbed it though! And same with my F150, it was a noticeable hit tot he wallet buying the materials alone! It adds up fast!!! Plumbing was using all AN and Steel braided lines. Electrical wasn't even anything special... Basic crimp type connectors everywhere but I use the type that have the heat shrink and solder built in. You crimp it then hit it with a torn to melt the solder into the connector/wires and it shrinks the wrap at the same time. Those things are like $0.20-0.25 a pop so you know they're adding up fast!

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
Don't beat yourself up on the labor cost, if you feel you did a good job and was honest with the hours than that's the final cost. I worked for a few guys that would get beat down on the price from the customers and they had plenty of money to spend. Most people don't understand the material cost let alone know how much time the tasks take
Thanks, sometimes I feel like it’s hard to justify what things cost and even with my almost zero overhead cost, it’s still about $60/hour just to have the door open and the lights on after workers comp, etc. it’s crazy.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds