Wonder Bread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Sounds sticky! I’ve had good luck with the polycarbide wheels from harbor freight for removing undercoating without melting it and slinging it everywhere. Wire wheels and flap discs always make it sling for me.
I had the best luck with a torch and a putty knife. Used the torch to heat it up some, then the putty knife slides it right off. There was a little bit of a learning curve on how much heat to use. Too much and it get real gummy and nasty. After I scraped the majority of it off, I used a flap disc and sandpaper to finish it off. Have fun welding on the dirty ass galvanized metal.

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
I had the best luck with a torch and a putty knife. Used the torch to heat it up some, then the putty knife slides it right off. There was a little bit of a learning curve on how much heat to use. Too much and it get real gummy and nasty. After I scraped the majority of it off, I used a flap disc and sandpaper to finish it off. Have fun welding on the dirty ass galvanized metal.
Thank you sir!

All I’m going to do is clean her up, have a friend that agreed $150 to weld the front and mid stiffiners. Ha. He’s a Full time welder, no kids or wife...... he likes to weld shit, his problem not mine! Ha

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Well I’ve got a few parts for the rear to hopefully smooth it out but damn.

Took the kids to McDonalds yesterday and heard something funny then when I got out I smelt Something even more funny
Drip drip drip

Looks like the fan clutch got hungry and took out a bite of my radiator.

New aluminum 3 row on the way along with the much needed motor mounts

Debating on going all in and pulling the intake to swap the manifold at the same time but probably way till the next adventure
4B882DE0-DCA5-4CDE-88D4-60E574371F08.jpeg
731FFEC9-4A30-4C91-B234-09DB35297DB8.jpeg
4EBAA7E3-55B1-4377-9B33-C487FCDA7ECA.jpeg

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Check your exhaust manifold if your trans or motor mounts are sloppy. XJs like to crack up when the mounts go bad.

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Check your exhaust manifold if your trans or motor mounts are sloppy. XJs like to crack up when the mounts go bad.
I know there is definitely an exhaust leak. I’m sure it’s at the manifold I’ll know how bad after I start her up this weekend and will unfortunately will have to make the purchase of a manifold.

I bought a 30 year old jeep to have fun didn’t I?

Reactions: Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds