yamaha kid's 94 Ranger Race Truck

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
So I've been lingering here for quite a while and I figured I might as well make one of these threads for my hoopty. I don't have very many build pics because I never think to stop and take pictures so I'll just post what I have of it in it's current state and give a brief explanation.

Specs:
-Single cab long bed
-Stock 3.0/A4LD
-1.75 x .120 DOM cab cage
-1.75 x .120 DOM w/ mix of 1.5 x .120 DOM engine cage and bed cage
-Custom unequal length beams w/ D44 ends, 2.5 x 14" King coilovers, 2" King bumpstops
-Giant 64 Kit, 3.0x 18" King Double Bypass Link Killers
-32G fuel cell
-Trussed econoline 9", 31 spline spool, 6:20 gears
-Icom F5021 radio, Racer X intercom
-15" x 7" Outlaw II w/ 33's

I got this truck as my first truck when I was 16. It was an old city truck that I got at an auction completely stock with about 45k on the 3.0/A4LD combo. The truck was blue and the front fenders were bright yellow and it had one of those orange spinning, strobing lights on the top.

After a little while I pieced together a bent beam lift and put it on and drove it like that for pretty much all of high school. After I graduated I bought extended beams and coilovers and drove it like a TT and put it through hell and it never left me stranded. A little while after graduation I found out my girlfriend was pregnant and that I was going to have a little girl(who was probably conceived in the truck haha). Since I had access to another vehicle which was much more family friendly I parked the truck on the side of my parents house but never once considered selling it.

I slowly started stripping the truck to cage it and finally came up with enough money for the metal for the cab cage. In the springtime of 2009 my friend and I started the work on the cage and finally put the finishing touches the night before Tuff Trucks at the Del Mar Fair. I had the bright idea to enter my "race truck" with LT front and completely stock rear end and as some of you may recall, it didn't turn out to be the best idea. I ended up being the first truck out because I was late and hopefully put on a show for the crowd haha.

After I put it on it's side the only real damage was to the bed so I scrapped it and parked it again and decided that I wanted to race. Fast forward 3 years from '09 Tuff Trucks and it is actually a race truck(even if it's only raced one short course race haha).

Pulling into tech at the Beehive race

Cleaned up after the race

Other misc pictures

Last edited:

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
First major break, day after MORE 500 running the course

How it sits in the garage right now

Last edited:

fabtaco

Mega Member
Jan 18, 2008
Any reason for not putting the cell behind the cab? Seems there's plenty of room, and would eliminate having the spares stick out that far.

sikspak

World Class Engineering
Nov 9, 2009
wildomar
He's actually going to move the cell forward about 10 inches or so to get it tucked up to the axle and eliminate most of the long looking bedcage

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
I have a big storage box that I put behind the cab that takes up that space I just took it out for the Beehive race. And yes, I like all the weight in the back. After I rebuild the bedcage the fuel cell will be remounted about 8" farther forward and about 4" up about level with the bottom of the frame. When I first built the bedcage I didn't have bedsides to put up there to see how goofy it actually looked haha. It looked A LOT better in my head as I was building it.

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
Here are some close ups of the beams i built for it. Figured I'd post them up since I finally decided to upload them.. A little dirty and need scothcbriting though.

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
Oh and I finally got metal to rebuild the bedcage, thanks again Johnny. I was going to start today but my garage is like 110 degrees right now and that doesn't sound very appealing on my only day off.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds