YJ Coil conversion

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Smail built

Dec 9, 2004
El Centro *Ca
So I am looking in to doing a coil conversion on a 1991 jeep wrangler YJ and I cant seem to find shit. I am looking for a simple bolt on kit that will take little to no fab work to install. I am not looking to go out and do king of the hammers stuff just want to get rid of the leaf springs to improve the ride. I did find the pro come kit but have herd nothing but ad things about that kit. I don't mind spending the money on a good kit but I would like it to be as much bolt on as possible. Any advise would be great.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I vaguely think I remember Warn had a kit at one point...

I think I've also seen replacement center skidplates that had all the pockets for links built into them where you'd just make the link arms and the coil mounts basically.

Probably better answers on a jeep specific forum though.

ucd baja

#1 Pig Killer
Dec 16, 2008
Plainfield, CA
I was thinking ruff stuff too then he said he wanted it all bolt on but you can get it done for less than a grand if you buy the ruff stuff kit.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Check out DIY 4x4. They have kits to install longer leafs. The short leafs are part of the rough ride. Switching to coils doesn't necessarily lead to a softer ride. Spring rate and length determine the ride quality of leaf sprung vehicles. Chevy truck springs are a common swap on jeeps.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
For a complete bolt on option:

Hybrid frame allows you to install your YJ tub and drivetrain on a TJ Frame. That way you can use TJ axles and arms, and coils and shocks. Lots of work but really shouldn't be too bad. and probably the least amount of fab work.

I was going to get this for my YJ:

if you go that route, look at ARTEC for axle truss' for whatever axle you are going to run. and you will have to ditch your front axle due to the CAD system. The motobilt will sure take away a lot of the fab time but require welding. You can get TJ axles that are already set up for links. I believe Artec and Ruff Stuff sell the proper clevis' and/or unibazl conversions to build your links to the stock TJ axles (they have a bushing on the axle for the upper).

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds