ZFG SXS build

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
So, SXS's look like fun. They have many downsides through.

1, not street legal. Needs to be able to drive down the road without being a cop magnet.
2, no heater. I'm getting to the point in life where heat is nice.
3, no windows/windshield/roof. See above.....
4, cost, for the same amount I can build a pretty nice rig. Since I am currently stuck in the most boring place on earth...........

So I started with this.

It is pretty rust free for this part of the country.

Things to confuse you......

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
So, the plan for the powertrian is,

1.9LTDI out of a 02 Jetta

Connected to an AX15 Heep tranny via toyota R150 bell housing and an adapter plate.

Connected to a Land Rover LT230 T-case with an Diesel conversions kit.

Connected to TTB's with 8.8 center sections, Exploder rear/F150 front with 94-02 F150 spindles all around.

Same pic I know, fuck you.

This will be AWD, so no need for locking hubs. Also why I wanted CV's in the front. I am thinking these spindles will be much lighter than the D44 units, will confirm when I get some in hand.

Since the LT230 has a manual locking center diff, it was only fair to put some in the other diff's.

The covers on these and very beefy and weldable. I will basically be cutting out the center sections of the beams and sticking the TTB ends to them.

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Downside of the LT230 is, it's BIG! Versus the stock Sami T-case.

It's also about 70#'s heavier.

It also won't really fit between the frame rails.

Couple that with the amount of work it will take to cut all the mounts off the frame that will not be used or are in the way, it's easier to make a new frame.

The stock frame is 2X4X.095, Strange to have american sized tube on a vehicle built in Japan.

So a couple sticks of 2X4X.120

Some of this.

And you get a new frame that less than 5 hours later someone is using as a bar.

Then it gets a little sketchy...... The frame would not come lose, so I was persuading it with a prybar. When it did pop lose, it almost took out My toes.....

A F150/Bronco frame is about 31.5" between the frame rails where the beams mount. The back end of the Sami frame is 32" between the rails. I made this one square at 32.5 between the rails. This will give proper mounting width for the beams and enough room to wedge the LT230 in the middle.

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Since I like the factory "rollbar", I decided to keep it. But it really needed to be attached to the frame, not sheetmetal.

Since it is made out of 2"X.095, I picked up some of that and some 1.75"to sleeve it.

Since the wheelbase is getting stretched, the tires will not hit it. Being the cheap/lazy fucker that I am stuck in the middle of nowhere, I cut the leafspring mounts off the stock frame for tabs........

The cage/body will all be bushing mounted, this will be quite inside or I will burn it to the ground.

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Now on to the front part of the cage. I tried a bent piece, but it didn't look or fit right.

So miters it is. If it's good enough for the Herbst TT's, it must be good enough for this POS.

Tucks in nice and tight.

And the other side.

Dash trimming, it will still come out which will come in handy shortly..........

So, then this happened.

Mainly because the whole back side of the dash was packed with rat nests like this.

The whole fresh air inlet was full of 30 years of crap. it is now cleaned and back in. In the process, I probably got hanta virus or some shit from all the rat poop.

This pretty much catches up to where I am currently. Now to fit the dash bars and the engine cage tubes that pass through the firewall.

Last edited:

Prenissan

Old Fat Bastard
Nov 13, 2010
Texas
Hell yes Partybarge! Great start! I like how the last few builds have started with a bit of work done already, with lots of pictures. Keeps us from withdrawing to badly.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Yeah, I actually picked up the body over a year ago. But the house remodel and the overtime at the last job really kept any progress from happening.

I have since put a stop to the remodel at least spending wise....... The GF can live with the bathrooms the way they are for now. I don't care if they are 1980's fabulous, they work.

Also the new job working 40's on day shift with a 50% pay bump helps.........

The adapters for the T-case and trans should be here next week. Still looking for a R150 bellhousing. Toyotas are pretty rare around here. Finding one with a stick in the junkyards is impossible. My buddy Chad with the JD Fab T100 has one and will bring it out with him for the fourth if I haven't found one yet.

Speaking of JD, Jesse the J in JD told Me this would flip over sitting still....... I give it a 50/50 chance......

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds